As you have heard by now, the Novel CoronaVirus has recently emerged in small but growing numbers in the U.S. While no cases have been confirmed in Hawaii, we know that could change any day. Therefore, we are taking great care to prepare for the possibility of it spreading to our community.
We are following the advice of medical professionals, including the Center of Disease Control. Accordingly, we will ask that those attending our conference and local events:
– Wash their hands upon entering the venue, both before and after eating or drinking, after sneezing, blowing your nose, and at any other time you consider appropriate. The CDC recommends drying hands with disposable paper towels rather than using a blower.
– Take frequent advantage of hand sanitizing stations at the registration table and in each of the conference rooms.
– Utilize wipes and sprays available in the rooms to sanitize your phone, other items in your possession which you might place on a table or chair which can be wiped off, and the tables and chairs where you sit.
– Avoid shaking hands. Elbow bumping is endorsed by Judy Bloom and there are many other alternatives to shaking hands, including a simple nod with your hand over your heart. We look forward to the many friendly ways you find to greet each other without touching!
– Anyone who has a fever or has a family member who has had a fever within 48 hours of the conference should not come to the conference. We are aware that testing is limited, so if you have had an illness with symptoms that might be the Corona Virus during the 14 day period prior to an event, please do not attend.
During this period of public health concerns, SCBWI has modified its event cancellation/refund policy as follows: If you or a member of your family are or have been sick and you therefore cannot attend an event, you will be able to receive a full tuition refund up until the day of the event so that you can stay home, take care of yourself and your family, and prevent the spread of illness. If you or a member of your family has a condition which compromises their immunity defenses, you may also request a refund should you choose to stay home. Please contact Akiko White if you have questions about this change in policy or need to cancel and request a refund for your tuition.
– Anyone who develops symptoms while at the conference should notify one of the Regional Advisors or an Assistant Regional Advisor or the Illustrator Coordinator immediately. There will be a place you can stay while waiting on transportation should that be necessary, but we will ask that you leave as soon as possible.
– If you or someone in your household has returned in the last 14 days prior to the conference from travel to an outbreak area, please do not come to the conference. Your tuition will be refunded in accordance with the policy change stated above.
We will continue to monitor this situation closely and update you with any changes.
Thank you for your support!